OS X Mountain Lion is the latest release of the world?s most advanced desktop operating system. Mountain Lion includes over 200 new features to update your Mac into the best computing experience yet. With the new Messages app you can send text, photos, videos, contacts, web links, and documents to anyone using another Mac, iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch ? you can even start a conversation on one device and continue it on another. The new Share button makes it easy to share files, web pages, photos, and videos, as well as tweet right from the app you are using. With the Reminders app you can create to-do lists and alerts that appear in the new Notification Center. With Notes you can write down all your ideas and even speak your words with voice dictation. Play head to head games on your Mac with friends on their Macs or iOS devices with Game Center. And with iCloud built in, it?s simple to keep all your mail, contacts, calendars, reminders, notes, to do lists, music, photos, iWork files, PDFs, and more up to date across all your devices.
-Send messages from your Mac to friends with an iPhone, iPad, or Mac.
- With iMessage, you can start a conversation on your Mac and pick it up on your iPhone or iPad.
- Messages also supports traditional instant messaging services like AIM, Yahoo! Google Talk and Jabber.
- Documents in the Cloud lets you create and edit your documents on your Mac, iPhone, and iPad.
- The new Reminders app makes managing tasks easy. Jot down your thoughts with the new Notes app. And iCloud keeps your Reminders and Notes up to date across all your devices.
- Type both searches and web addresses in the new Smart Search Field.
- Pinch to see tabs with Tab View and swipe to switch between them.
- iCloud Tabs makes the last websites you looked at accessible on your iPhone, iPad, and Mac.*
- New notifications appear in the top right corner of your screen.
- Open Notification Center from anywhere in OS X to see recent notifications.
- Configure your notifications to receive just the ones you want.
- Share links, photos, videos, and other files right from the app you're in.
- Share with Mail, Messages, and AirDrop.
- Sign in to Twitter, Flickr, and Vimeo once to start sharing.
- Tweet right from your apps with the Tweet sheet.
- Play live multiplayer and turn-based games against friends on iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, or Mac.
- Log in to the Game Center app to see friends in your gaming network.
- Check out leaderboards and achievements.
- See what games your friends play and track your progress against them.
Other great Mountain Lion features
Dictation lets you talk anywhere you can type?no setup or training required.
- AirPlay Mirroring shows your Mac screen on your HDTV with Apple TV.
- Power Nap keeps your Mac up to date while it sleeps so it's instantly ready to go.
- Gatekeeper makes it safer to download apps from the Internet by giving you control over which apps can be installed on your Mac.
- New features for Chinese users include improved text input, leading search engine Baidu as an option in Safari, sharing to microblogging service Sina Weibo and video websites Youku and Tudou, eight new fonts, and a new Chinese dictionary.
* iCloud Tabs on iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch requires iOS 6.
AirPlay Mirroring works with Apple TV (2nd generation or newer), iMac (mid 2011 or newer), Mac mini (mid 2011 or newer), MacBook Air (mid 2011 or newer), and MacBook Pro (early 2011 or newer).
Power Nap works with MacBook Air (mid 2011 or newer) and MacBook Pro with Retina display.
Some features require an Apple ID and/or compatible Internet access; additional fees and terms apply.
Some features require apps developed to work with Mountain Lion.
What's New in Version 10.8.2
Facebook is now built into Mountain Lion, making it easier than ever to share and keep up to date with your friends.
Facebook built in
- Sign in once to set up Facebook for Sharing, Contacts, and Notification Center
- Easily share links and photos to Facebook right from the app you?re using
- View Facebook friends' contact information and profile pictures in Contacts
- Receive Facebook notifications in Notification Center
- Post a status update from Notification Center
- Play against Facebook friends with Game Center
- Like a game right from Game Center
Other great new features
- Power Nap support for MacBook Air (Late 2010)
- iMessages sent to your phone number now appear in Messages on your Mac*
- FaceTime now receives calls sent to your phone number*
- Add passes to Passbook on your iPhone or iPod touch from Safari and Mail on your Mac*
- Shared reminders help you track to-dos with other people
- Sort your notes by title, date edited, or date created
- Dictation now supports Mandarin, Cantonese, Spanish, Korean, Canadian English, Canadian French, and Italian
- Dictionary application now includes a French dictionary
The 10.8.2 update also includes general operating system fixes that improve the stability, compatibility and security of your Mac.
*Requires iOS 6